FA Support Portal

I am a health care professional; can I use my professional training instead of completing a first aid course?

Everyone must complete an initial FA first aid course or a Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh endorsed course that is listed as an acceptable alternative to The FA Level 4 Intermediate Trauma Medical Management in Football (ITMMiF) or FA Level 5 Advanced Trauma Medical Management in Football (ATMMiF) courses. At the point of renewal, as alternatives to FA Level 1 Introduction to First Aid in Football (IFAiF) and Level 2 Emergency First Aid in Football( EFAiF) courses the following practising allied health care professions can show evidence of their professional qualifications and relevant training, which must be one of:

  • Advanced Life Support
  • Advanced Trauma Life Support
  • Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support
  • Paediatric intermediate life support
  • Paediatric advanced life support

Allied health care professions will need to submit the following:

  • Confirmation of membership of relevant professional body and confirmation from employer that you are currently practising  
  • Evidence of training completed within the past three years; this can be a valid certificate, a formal letter from the training provider or a letter from your workplace’s HR department

The following are classed as allied health care professionals:

  • Paramedics with IHCD paramedic course or Paramedic foundation degree or MSc in Paramedic Science, registered with the HCPC
  • Nurses registered with NMC currently working in an emergency environment (Emergency department)
  • Therapists with registration from BASRAT or SST
  • Physiotherapists registered with the HCPC
  • Doctors registered with the GMC


Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.