The FA accept a small number of sports first aid courses as an alternative to FA medical courses. Throughout the 2016/17 and 2017/2018 seasons, The FA undertook a full and comprehensive review of our medical training provision. This included researching the provision of other national governing bodies and gaining advice from The FA Legal team. One of the critical findings was the need for football-specific training to be included in our courses, with an emphasis on saving a life and limb in football.
The following courses are accepted as alternatives to The FA Level 1 Introduction to First Aid in Football (IFAiF):
- Hampden National Sports First Aid course
- World Rugby First Aid in Rugby Level 1 course
- RFU Emergency First Aid in Rugby Union Level 1 course
- Irish Rugby Union SAFE Level 1 course
- Corobeus Sports Consultancy Emergency First Aid in Sport course
- St Johns Basic Sports First Aid
- The Red Cross First Aid for Sports Course
- Fitness First Aid Level 3 award in First Aid for Sport (RQF)
- ITC Level 3 Award in First Aid for Sport, Exercise and Fitness ITC Certificate for Sport Exercise and Fitness at SCQF Level 6
Further information on non-FA accepted qualification including which courses we accept at higher levels of the FA Medical Pathway, can be found on our website.
If you have completed a course that is listed as accepted you will need to first complete two eLearning modules - The FA Concussion Guidelines and FA sudden Cardiac Arrest module. Therefore in order for us to add your first aid certificate to your FAN, you will first need to complete these two modules. You can access these via the links below. Please ensure you use the most up-to-date google browser to ensure you have no technical issues, and we always suggest downloading your certificate or taking a screenshot of your completion page in case of any issues. You will also need to ensure you are signed in at the top of the page in order to access the eLearning.
The FA Sudden Cardiac Arrest module - Please note this will say 'buy course' however it is free to complete and no payment is taken.
Once you have completed these eLearning modules, please send an email to Education@TheFA.com attaching a copy of your first aid certificate including your name and FAN, with the subject Non-FA medical course certificate.
Once this is received the team will check your certificate is acceptable and whether you have completed the two eLearning modules, and f so, attach it to your FAN. You will receive a confirmation once this is done.